Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Ho Ho Ho! Barf.

Five more shopping days 'til Christmas. I can proudly say I'm almost sure I'm done my shopping. Actually my husband and I are very lucky. Although we both have considerably big families - he has two brothers and three nephews and two neices, I have three sisters, one brother, five neices and four nephews - we have a no present policy. We used to draw names. Then we thankfully dropped it. I am not a scrooge, I would just rather buy things for my husband than my sisters husband. Because that's what would happen. I'd get my brother in laws name and then I'd have to call my sister and ask her what he wanted because how should I know? Then I'd have to skimp on what I bought Peter or skip him altogether because hey, I'm not Paris Hilton. And thank god might I add.

Even so, this year Christmas is making me a little nauseous. I am on maternity leave right now and apparently you only deserve 50% of your normal wages because being a new mom is only worth half as much as what you normally do for a living. I live in Canada by the way if this sounds different to anyone. Peter and I have been finding it interesting to pay our mortgage and bills as it is without Christmas to worry about. So we both agreed not to spend much on Christmas. It's impossible. I don't even have to worry about my daughter, I'm totally taking advantage of the fact that she is three months old and doesn't have a mile long list for us. I bought her a TY Giraffe and a book, a rattle and a teething ball for her stocking. That's it. I can't say what I bought for Peter because he might read this but it really wasn't much. I bought us all new stockings and iron on letters to personalize them. We do buy for our parents. I gave pictures and bought frames to put them in. What are credit cards for? I feel our debt piling up by the second. Also, since we live in Canada and it's winter thus snow and ice - but only in the winter folks, I've heard some of you think it's like the North Pole all year round - my husband had to buy four new winter tires for his car at ninetysomething dollars a piece. Eeek! Also on credit.

So Merry Christmas, here's your five hundred dollar credit card bill. I think I'm going to be sick...

No comments: